Saturday, November 8, 2014

The negative emotions of other overwhelmed my ability to open to Loving Kindness


Upon completion of reading chapter 6, review the section ‘Getting Started’ (p.66). Begin practice 1: Listen to the Introduction mp3 and Loving Kindness mp3 (both located in Doc Sharing). Practice the Loving Kindness exercise this week. In your journal (blog), record your reaction to the exercise.

Answer each of the following in your blog:

The Loving Kindness mp3 was a rather hard thing to get through for me.  The relaxed breathing was easy and relaxing, but the idea of breathing in the dark emotions and pain of other was heavy on my body and started making it hard to breath.  I wanted to fix it all and help them on the physical side; instead of being able to help them and fix I was over whelmed and found it hard to breathe.  For those that are not influenced by the emotions of other this might be a great exercise, for me personally this exercise was difficult.  Every day I am with children (my own and the neighborhood kids) they are always looking to me for ways to help with lifting their spirits and keeping their emotions positive for me this is easy since I can see the results in the end.  This exercise; however, did not allow me to see an improvement in the end instead I was imaging them in a happier place when in reality there are those that I know that would not be happier no matter what (negative Nellie’s).

The idea or concept of a mental workout for me is expanding and understanding our relationship between the physical and mental links of the body.  Long before the research was around the idea and proof that mental workout helped improve lives was valid and needed.  Today the idea of needing research to prove the idea of a mental workout is beneficial helps those that are not able work on the mind-body links.  For those that are more open to the idea of the links the research is not really needed.  Mental workouts are a great ways to foster the growth and understanding of a person psychological health – we are able to not only understand the reasons we are in pain (physically and/or emotionally) but in certain cases we are able to expel the pain and causes with the mental exercises. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Heather,

    I could relate to you in having difficulty breathing in the dark emotions of others. I also had a very difficult time with this part of the meditation. I never thought about not being able to see an improvement in the end. Maybe that's why I thought the meditation wasn't finished. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I love your positivity! Negative Nellie's are tough people to be around! Have a great weekend! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea to breathe somebody’s pain into my heart was terrible and I did not do it. I was sending light from my heart to them instead. I think people who not experienced with meditations and do not have excess energy should not do it. I think this meditation for professional, who spent their lives to be spiritual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather I found it very interesting that you had a hard time breathing in pain or emotions for others. Clearly you have a huge heart! I have done this meditation before and breathing in others pain and releasing it for me was very hard at first also because I attached to their pain. Over time I learned to breath the pain in and release it as a healing, freeing practice to help them find joy or non-suffering. The only way to do this is non-attachment. It does not mean that I am not influenced or affected by their pain or suffering but I am choosing not to attach to it and let it affect me. Maybe try to consciously do this and be aware next time. You can have compassion and love for other peoples pain and suffering but it is theirs and not yours. By attaching to it you bring suffering within yourself. I hope this helps a bit!

    ReplyDelete