Saturday, November 22, 2014

Even with meditation we need checks to help us balance


The exercise for loving kindness was so much better than the guided meditation of earlier in the semester.  This form of meditation was not one that made me feel like I was being crushed by the pain and stresses of others.   Instead the stead chant and relaxed feeling of the meditation exercise was easy and I was able to practice it anyplace I went.  The Integral Assessment we did in chapter 11 helped to feel ease the causes of stressors, by looking at our lives and the areas that could be causing disconnect in the mind-body connection.  By listening taking the time to listen to the body and allowing the mind to flush out the toxins or blocks in words I was able to get a better understanding of limits I had from the areas of life.  The areas that I have chosen for growth and development is the areas of fitness and nutrition; since these are the areas that I neglect most with the when trying to juggle a families schedule.  As a stay at home Mom I get to be the first one people go to with short notice things to do, taking away the time I might have set aside for making dinner or exercising.  By writing down the time on a calendar and making it known to my family I am going to exercise I have some one that check me on whether or not I accomplished it for the day.  Having an exercise buddy is also a great way to have a check system in place. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the loving kindness exercise. After going through the integral assessment, I also choose nutrition and fitness. Have you had a physical to review all your numbers before you start your exercise and fitness program? A good book is Ashley Darkenwalds, Living Wellness. She has so many great recipes, exercises etc....Good for you for putting yourself on the calendar. Isn't it challenging sometimes with raising a beautiful family. I also have 3 beautiful children and a picky eater husband. I believe that fitness and nutrition needs to be a priority for everyone! I also have an exercise buddy, my husband. I look forward to reading about your progress. Thank you for sharing. Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heather,

    I would have loved the ocean audio with this exercise but It was ok. I didn't get much out of the chant and I believe it was due to the speed in which I was saying it. I couldn't fully remember it so I had to keep my eyes open for most of it. I am happy you got to experience it though.
    Working out with someone is always a good thing for company but sometimes pushing yourself and setting your own goals at your own time, makes the transition easier. People always tell me there is no excuse to making time to work out because I say the same thing. I am a single mother of one, in the Army, she has cheerleading, and I have my personal goals set and school. They tell you make time for everything else, so you can make time to work out. It makes me think I am lazy but most of the time I am too tired. I wish you all the best and I know it will work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather:

    I’m glad you found the loving-kindness exercise stimulating . For some reason it gave me the opposite results – repetitive and boring. The integral assessment was more palatable for me in that I was able to better relax and cut out all the unnecessary chatter in my brain my being quiet!

    Incorporating a form of exercise in your daily routine is always good. You may want to start out by simply walking before doing anything strenuous.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete